Monday, December 15, 2008

2 Funnies I Forgot!

I forgot to 'document' two goodies to date from all this...

1. Apparently during surgery I got the HICCUPS!! Now afterward they seemed to think that was 'no biggie' and that working around the diaphragm that happens not infrequently... I however give the utmost credit to the surgeon for not slicing me open in a badway -- how the HELL do you operate LAPAROSCOPICALLY on my mid-section when the entire thing is going through explosive spasms???!!! dear god - I thanked my lucky stars once I was conscious!

2. So I was thrilled to be able to shower sans assistance when I got home. My friend Jim reminded me (having had the same back surgery I did but more recently) that this wasn't really possible after my back surgery. My mom - being the dutiful supervisor she is - was umm very supervisory post shower - making sure I got out ok, etc. I am very conscious of this bc I got a tattoo when I was 18 and NEVER wanted my parents to know. (Jeanne - if you are reading this, you are sworn to secrecy.)

Well -- floored was I when my mom pulls out the "So when did you get the tramp stamp?" Now she IS a high school teacher so the colloquialism wasn't an offense -- I did however correct her immediately that it WASN'T technically a tramp stamp bc it was located on my hip! And then I picked my jaw off the floor and explained when I got it, etc. I figured that I'd hid it a decade, I'd done pretty well... she wants to get a tattoo herself and her best friend is inked stem to stern so I was pretty safe w her finding out.

I did however swear her to secrecy from telling my father who I believe would SUMMARILY DISOWN ME if he found out... he never wanted me to get my ears pierced! I believe the comment I got when I came home from college 1st year w a set of SECOND holes (god forbid!) was something like -- "what -- is the lip disk next?"

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Too funny on the second piercings...when I was 18 I got my ears pierced a second time. I clearly remember when my mom discovered it...we were sitting at the dining room table and she started to cry. Because I did something so horrible to her. Getting my ears pierced again. Seriously. She would not stop crying until I took out the studs and agreed to let them grow back.

Kate McHugh said...

OMG - really?!?! Do you still have them? I found unlike many of my classmates I seem to have eternally irreparable earlobes -- none of my holes have ever closed up - I've not put anything in my cartilage piercing or my 2nd holes for years now but I still could... in fact maybe I'll find some little hoops and reclaim em!! Just to traumatize my Dad at Xmas...

Hope the rents are ok now! Did you hit the new CAP ALE in Freddyburg?!