Wednesday, November 19, 2008

On a clear day you can see a long, long time ago...

So I feel it appropriate to keep this title somewhere on the blog - even if it's been unseated as the blogname... it's logged a lot of miles but I think it's time for something a little less dwell-y, melancholy and more in the here and now...

It was a quote I randomly came across my first year at UVA during no doubt some useless timewasting 'altavista' search or some other now nonexistant search engine... searching for quotes - who knows why or what kind of quotes but I came across it and haven't shaken it from my synapses yet... it was merely attributed to 'anonymous Chinese'. From that day on it became mine - well not in a plagiaristic sorta way of course.

It ended up being the inscription on my Jefferson cups at graduation and on those I had engraved for a friend... a friend who I haven't heard from in years - I often wonder if she doesn't look at them once in a while and perhaps think of me... or at least us -- as brothers (Phi Sigma Pi) and wahoos and well exactly who everyone hopes to find in college - part of a great group of folks you could never replace and that are pervasive in all your memories from 4years...

So as it's the night before my liver shrinking starts and to an extent I feel like I'm embarking on a journey, a new path - something you can't characterize without sounding like a cheeseball... I find myself seeking -- googling (sounds way better than 'altavista'ing') new quotes... new guidance... I much prefer Aristotle's simple characterization of happiness -- but I did find this particular Stephen Covey quote pertinent to here and now... And as if life's all one mobius circle, of course I was introduced to Covey at UVA...

"Happiness can be defined, in part at least, as the fruit of the desire and ability to sacrifice what we want now for what we want eventually."

No comments: